- In 1980 she meets a Brazilian in Bali reportedly named Paulo, with whom she was rumored to have a torrid affair, inspiring her 1981 fragrance called Volcan d’Amour.
- She is referenced in Dolly Parton‘s 1981 song “Working Girl” in the verse “Designer clothes by Halston and Diane Von Furstenburg. And she’s a working girl.”
- In 2000, she collaborates with Christian Louboutin on a shoe line.
- In 2003, she collaborates with Reebok on RBK by Diane von Furstenberg. The line debuted at Wimbeldon and was unveiled by tennis great Venus Williams.
- In 2006, she executive produces “Andy Warhol: A Documentary Film” and is elected president of the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA).
- In 2008 her company, which is headquartered in Manhattan’s Meatpacking District, is featured on MTV’s reality show “The City” and introduces a Wonder Woman–inspired collection, along with a comic book illustrated by Konstantin Kakanias titled, “Be the Wonder Woman You Can Be: The Adventures of Diva, Viva and Fifa.”